November 2018 Meeting Minutes
American Legion Post 229 General Membership Meeting Minutes, 08 November 2018
Call to Order
The membership meeting was held at the Masonic Lunar Lodge #918, 740 Eastview Drive, Madison starting at 7pm. Meeting called to order by Commander Larry Vanoy. Prayer was given by Chaplain Andy Caudle.
Legionnaires in attendance: Larry Vannoy – Commander, Earl Watts – 1st Vice, TomWhitten – 2nd Vice, Stacey Harring – Adjdant, Robert Kirby – Finance Officer, Chris Brown – Judge Advocate, Andrew Caudle -Chaplin, Mike Marcel -Sergent of Arms, Carlos Woods – County Commander, Bill McGahey, Rick Jarrell, Richard Blanton Jr, Tim Oman, Brady Rogers, Ed Durst, Kathy Durst, Leondra Kelley
Approval of Previous Minutes
Minutes were voted to be accepted by the group after a motion by Earl Watts and seconded by Tommy Whitten.
- Sick and Shut in:
- Jean Downs had surgery, has a cast on and recovering. Carlos Woods’ wife had some challenges please keep her in your prayers . Warren Schmitt had passed away, post 237 Did the Honor guard.
- 55%, 157 of membership renewed so far – Please renew if you have not already. Another email to all who have not renewed yet, and a team will start calling as well. Question was asked to if it hurts the post if you do PIFL, no – we do lose the $6 a year, but our membership number will be held. Cost depends on age. A motion was made to accept the Membership report by Andy Caudle, seconded by Tommy Whitten and approved on by the Post.
- Finance report was passed out and a motion to approve was made by Earl Watts and seconded by Andy Caudle.
- State of the County/District/Region/State Report
- $1000 has been approved for the Wall that Heals, very late. Oratorical Contest is coming up, Tom McKinney is in charge for the County. County meeting 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7pm at Post 237.
- No report.
- We will work after Veteran’s day to split up the list of those who have not yet renewed and will start calling.
- Monument Committee
- All pavers that were ordered have been installed by Tommy and Larry.
- Blue Star Banner
- Stacey Harring has two families to present banners to from St. John the Baptist’s Catholic Church.
- North Alabama Veterans Fraternal Coalition (NAVFOC):
- No meeting in November
- Disabled Veterans (DAV):
- Nothing to report.
- Wall That Heals:
- Thanks to all who helped with the security detail. There was about 6000 people a day on average. Bill McGahey and Andy Caudel had played a large part and represented the post well.
- Budget goes from 1 July 18- 30 Jun 19. We went through the budget line by line and made corrections or changes as needed.
For The Good Of The Post
The meeting adjourned at 8:13 PM.