July 2018 Meeting Minutes
American Legion Post 229 General Membership Meeting Minutes, 12 July 2018
Call to Order
The membership meeting was held at the Masonic Lunar Lodge #918, 740 Eastview Drive, Madison starting at 7pm. Meeting called to order by Commander Larry Vannoy. Prayer was given by chaplain elect Andy Caudle.
Legionnaires in attendance were Commander Larry Vannoy, 1st Vice Commander Earl Watts, Judge Advocate Chris Brown, Finance Officer Leondra Kelley, Chaplain Andrew Caudle, Bill McGahey, Lester Bernard, Richard Jones, Robert Goffinett, Tim Oman, Robert Kirby, Alan Cerny, Jimmy Harris, Rick Jarrell, Eddie Allen, David Silvernail, Brady Rogers.
- Mason Laney, Alabama Boy's State "Alabama Governor", gave a presentation on his experience, while attending Boy's State in Tuscaloosa, May of this year.
- Hunter Goffinett, Life Scout in Boy Scout Troop 201 gave a presentation on his proposed Eagle Scout project to emplace a burn pit for flag retirements at the Madison Veterans Park.
Approval of Previous Minutes
- Reading of the 14 June 2018 meeting minutes was conducted and motioned for approval. Bill McGahey motioned and Andy Caudle seconded the motion to approve the 14 June 2018 meeting minutes. The motion carries with the members present.
- Sick and Shut in:
- Member and WWII Veteran, Warren Schmitt had a stroke and is recovering at the Regency Rehab Center on Max Luther Drive. Andy Caudle and others have been visiting him. He is welcoming visitors.
- Past Commander, Carl Dow, remains at Tut Fann Veteran's Home in Huntsville. Andy Caudle visited him since last meeting and is welcoming visitors.
- Adjutant Stacey Harring was out of town performing military duty. Commander Vannoy stated that the 2019 American Legion year has started and requests for renewals have begun. Either mail a check to the post or pay online.
- Finance Officer Leondra Kelley presented the status of the budget. Budget report was approved by the membership.
- State of the County/District/Region/State Report
- County Commander Carlos Woods stated that the Madison County Oratorical Contest Chairman, Matt Brian is changing military assignments so we will need a new chairman next year.
- North Alabama Veterans Fraternal Coalition NAVFOC:
- No Report
- Disabled Veterans (DAV): o
- There was no July meeting.
- Americanism Committee
- Chairman Tom McKinney was absent. Commander Vannoy stated that McKinney is working with the PD and FD to make officer awards. More status to be presented at the next meeting.
- Monument Committee
- Chairman Tommy Whitten was absent. Commander Vannoy stated that the latest set of pavers are done. Whitten is getting with Clark Memorial about setting up an installation date. Additional pavers continue to come in.
- Blue Star Banner
- Chairman Earl Watts is collecting names veterans and their families so we can make Blue Star Banner presentations. The Vietnam “Wall That Heals” organization wants a Gold Star Banner to be used when the wall is in Huntsville in November.
- The Wall That Heals
- Representative Bill McGahey reported that The “Wall That Heals” is going to be in Huntsville 1-4 November. It is anticipated that 1,100 volunteers are going to be needed. They are continuing to request sponsorships. For further details visit the web site: www.twth-hsv.com.
- Madison Street Festival
- Commander Vannoy reported that the reservation has been made. The festival is on October 6 th . We will be selling Handel’s Ice Cream. Handel’s will be providing everything needed and we will be getting 20% of the profit.
- Flag Retirement
- The flag retirement ceremony is scheduled for the 22nd of September. We will be working with the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts to put on the ceremony. We will need post participation. More details to follow.
- Non-Profit Status
- Judge Advocate Chris Brown stated that after consultation with an accountant it was determined that it is in the best interest financially and paperwork wise to remain an American Legion 501C-19 no-profit organization and was not necessary to become a 501C-3 as well.
- Authorization for expenditure of funds when required between membership meetings. There are times between membership meetings where the expenditure of post funds are necessary and cannot wait until the next membership meeting. This often happens with a veteran needs financial help or a bill needs to be paid that cannot wait. A motion was made by Earl Watts and seconded by Bill McGahey to authorize with the consensus of Commander, Adjutant and Finance Officer to expend up to $500 between membership meetings. An expenditure exceeding $500 has to get a consensus of the post officers. The motion carried by the members present.
- Past Post Commander Carlos Woods presented certificates of appreciation to members Lester Barnard and Al Cerny for their support while in office.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.